State Representative Lee Chatfield (R) 107th District urges his House colleagues to support HB 4001 that would cut the state Income Tax
Both the Michigan House and Senate introduced competing proposals to reduce and phase-out the state Income Tax. The House plan would reduce the rate to 3.9 percent and then gradually phase out the tax over 40 years. The Senate plan would phase out the tax over five years.
NFIB members supported a rollback to 3.9% but did not support eliminating the tax entirely either over 5 or 40 years. More on that story can be found HERE.
After a late night attempt, House leadership was unable to muster the votes needed to pass HB 4001 that would roll back the state Income Tax to 3.9%. House leadership closed the voting board and put 12 House Republicans on record as not supporting the tax cut. NFIB was the only business organization in Lansing that testified in front of the House Tax Policy Committee in support of HB 4001 and communicated our support for the tax roll back to all House lawmakers.
The Republican lawmakers that voted against the tax cut were:
- Jason Sheppard, Temperance – 56th District
- Chris Afendoulis, Grand Rapids Township – 73rd District
- Julie Calley, Portland – 87th District
- Kathy Crawford, Novi – 38th District
- Daniela Garcia, Holland – 90th District
- Larry Inman, Williamsburg – 104th District
- Jim Lilly, Park Township – 89th District
- Dave Maturen, Vicksburg – 63rd District
- Michael McCready, Bloomfield Hills – 40th District
- Brett Roberts, Eaton Township – 65th District
- Dave Pagel, Berrien Springs – 78th District
- Scott VanSingel, Grant – 100th District
State Representative Scott Dianda of the 110th District in the Upper Peninsula was the only Democrat that voted in support of HB 4001.
NFIB thanks bill sponsor State Representative Lee Chatfield (R) 107th District, House Leadership, and all of the members of the House that voted in support of tax relief for small business.
The conversation on state tax cuts will continue and NFIB will be working for more small business tax relief.