The Georgia House and Senate majority caucuses met recently to elect their leaders for the 2023-24 legislative term.
In the House, with Rep. David Ralston stepping down as speaker, the majority caucus nominated Rep. Jon Burns, NFIB member, to serve as the 74th speaker of the House. House Speaker Pro-Tempore Jan Jones was nominated for her current position by acclamation.
The caucus also elected the following positions:
- House Majority Leader: Rep. Chuck Efstration, an NFIB member and Guardian of Small Business Award recipient
- House Majority Whip: Rep. James Burchett
- House Majority Caucus Chairman: Rep. Bruce Williamson
- House Majority Caucus Vice-Chairman: Rep. Houston Gaines
- House Majority Caucus Secretary and Treasurer: Rep. Ginny Ehrhart, NFIB member
In the Senate, under the guidance of newly elected Lt. Gov. and NFIB member Burt Jones, the majority caucus nominated Sen. John F. Kennedy as president pro tempore. His nomination will be voted upon by the Senate once the legislative session begins on Jan. 9. Senator Kennedy recently won the Guardian of Small Business Award.
The other leadership positions:
- Majority Leader: Sen. Steve Gooch
- Majority Whip: Sen. Randy Robertson
- Majority Caucus Chair: Sen. Jason Anavitarte
- Majority Caucus Vice Chair: Sen. Matt Brass
- Majority Caucus Treasurer: Sen. Dean Burke
Each of the legislative leaders has a 100% NFIB voting record.
“With so many friends of small business in leadership positions, this puts us in a great spot moving forward into the new legislative sessions,” NFIB State Director Nathan Humphrey said.