NFIB, Florida’s leading small-business association, is spreading the word about Small Business Saturday and encouraging its members and other Main Street entrepreneurs to make the most of the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
This year, Small Business Saturday is November 24.
“Small Business Saturday is a great opportunity for small businesses to shine,” said Bill Herrle, NFIB’s Executive Director in Florida. “It’s a chance for them to highlight their unique goods and their personal customer service while winning new customers that will keep coming back for more throughout the year. It’s also a chance for shoppers to give thanks to the small business owners who do so much for our communities and create jobs for our neighbors.”
Last year, U.S. shoppers spent nearly $13 billion at small, independent stores and restaurants the Saturday after Thanksgiving, according to a survey by NFIB and American Express. Ninety percent of consumers surveyed said Small Business Saturday has a positive impact on their communities.
NFIB suggests ways shops and restaurants can make the most of Small Business Saturday:
- Stay on top of your social media. If you’re on Facebook or Twitter or Instagram or Pinterest, post often and promote any Small Business Saturday deals. Use the hashtags #ShopSmall and #SmallBizSat so shoppers can find you easily.
- Showcase the merchandise that would make a great gift. Group items on a table with a sign saying it would be the perfect gift for dad or a great gift for the grandparents. Restaurants can offer Small Business Saturday specials and gift cards.
- Steal a page from the Black Friday playbook and offer doorbusters. Chain stores know a great way to drive shoppers to their stores is by offering special deals at different times of the day. There’s no reason a small business can’t do the same thing.
- Partner with nearby businesses. Pool your resources to buy advertising promoting the neighborhood as a shopping destination or team up with other businesses on in-store promotions. For example, if they buy a pair of shoes here, let them know they can save 10 percent on socks next door.
- Don’t forget to tell your regular customers about Small Business Saturday. Put a sign in your shop and flyers in bags reminding folks to come back the Saturday after Thanksgiving for special deals. Download free “Shop Small” signs from www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/shop-small/promote.